About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Commercial Superintendent (Gunnedah, NSW)
An exciting opportunity has become available for a Commercial Superintendent to join the Open Cut Operations Team in Gunnedah. The Commercial Superintendent provides support to the Commercial Manager - Open cuts to manage the commercial, financial and accounting functions for the open cut mines, CHPP and shared services associated with the open cut function.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Ensure costing of all financial instruments satisfies the business costing requirements to facilitate effective cost/financial reporting.
- Ensure company delegated authority/approval requirements are complied with, ensure commercial and financial compliance.
- Work proactively in the business to develop and complete budgets/forecasts on a timely basis.
- Produce Financial / Management reports meeting relevant timelines
- Perform relevant business analysis which permits an informed understanding of business performance against budgets/forecast/targets (operating and capital).
- Produce written reports and presentations which accurately communicate these performance outcomes at all levels of the business.
- Actively guide and participate in cost control activities via actions, provision of data, advice and input to operations.
- Apply commercial acumen in review and recommendation of investment/business opportunities (including financial modelling capability)
- Have input to the development of contracts between the company and 3rd Take part in the review of performance against these contracts.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Finance, Commerce or Accounting
- Professional membership of either CA or CPA
- Leadership experience in a commercial role of a large infrastructure operation;
- Commercial experience in the mining industry preferred (on-site, off-site, multi-site, and project development)
- Experience managing Joint Venture agreements
- Understanding and experience applying Australian Accounting Standards
- Experience in management and financial accounting
- Experience with Pulse (not essential), Excel modelling, and TM1
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.