Health, Safety & Training Manager
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Health, Safety & Training Manager (Gunnedah, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for a Health, Safety & Training Manager for our Open Cut sites in the Gunnedah Region.
The Health, Safety & Training Manager will be a part of the site team responsible for promoting a positive health and safety culture, maintaining the required level of compliance across all work areas on site, working collaboratively with work areas to achieve training requirements, facilitate and monitor the site’s risk and incident management processes and participate in scheduled work area inspections/audits.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Comply with the Health and Safety Management System and Plans, legislative requirements, and safety instructions and directions, contributing to the company goal of “zero harm”.
- Maintain awareness of relevant safety legislation and company policies.
- Take ownership for own health and safety and have an obligation to take reasonable care for the health and safety of others.
- Demonstrate visible safe working practices and a commitment to safety in the workplace by participating in safety training, managing risk, identifying and reporting hazards and incidents, and acting as a role model in the area of safety every day.
- Advise your peers to work safely, challenging anyone who is putting themselves or others at risk.
- Support the development of a safety culture where safety is an integral part of ‘the way we work’.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualification in Workplace Health and Safety, Environmental Sciences or related discipline.
- At least 10 years professional experience in a range of HST functions, including site-based experience.
- Sound knowledge of industry best practice and relevant legislations, including knowledge and understanding of contemporary HST best practices.
- Ability to lead and manage a team of HSEC professionals.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to influence management and employees for positive outcomes.
- Effective stakeholder management skills.
- Proven ability to coach and mentor peers and direct reports.
- Strong business acumen.
- Change management skills.
- Project management skills.
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.