Senior Drill & Blast Engineer
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Senior Drill & Blast Engineer, Maules Creek, NSW
An outstanding opportunity has become available for a Drill & Blast Engineer to join the team at Maules Creek.
The purpose of this role is to be responsible for all technical aspects of the Drill and Blast activities on site. This position will work closely with the Drill and Blasting Supervisors and the Drill and Blast Superintendent to ensure the safe and efficient blasting of overburden onsite.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Ensure drill and blast designs are carried out in accordance with approved budgets and site standards.
- Liaise with the Drill and Blasting Superintendent and Supervisors to produce timely drill and blast designs.
- Develop and maintain plans, designs and blast packs for all shots.
- Provide direction to Tech Services and Operations with regards to shot locations, shot timing and blasting requirements.
- Weekly forecasting of explosive bulk and explosive accessory requirements.
- Liaise with Blasting Superintendent and Supervisors to organise pre-blasting clean up and preparations and ensure patterns are prepared to the required standard.
- Ensure blast patterns for drills are marked up accurately and in a timely manner as to minimise operational delays, organise Survey assistance as required.
- Record shots and results and complete blast reconciliations for all blasts on site.
- Maintain Drill and Blast component of 4-week schedule and communicate sequence and requirements to Operations and Tech Services.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualification in mining engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge of the risk management, safe work practices and statutory requirements required to create and maintain a safe work environment.
- Minimum five years of mining experience in a Drill and Blast engineering role.
- Demonstrated safe and productive management of mine plant and facilities.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- High level analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly developed skills in drill and blast design and scheduling
- Highly developed skills pertaining to mining software packages and engineering practices
- Understanding of information management processes
- Skilled in hazard identification and responsive to safety issues
- Well-developed Microsoft office skills
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary, bonus and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader in beautiful rural NSW.
- Join a great team culture.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.