About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Geologist, Technical Services (Maules Creek, NSW)
The purpose of this role is to be responsible for weekly geotechnical inspections to ensure compliance with the safety management system and provide regular geological updates to achieve accurate mine planning and optimal drill and blast outcomes.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Provide coal mining guidance and geological support to the site’s operations teams
- Complete and maintain roof and floor of coal layers for the deposit.
- Collect and collate data from the excavation including faults, washouts and intrusions.
- Complete monthly coal reconciliations.
- Coordinate with corporate team and assist with the planning and management of the exploration program onsite.
- Coordinating gamma hole drilling with blast rigs and monthly updates of the short term geological model onsite
- Provide geotechnical leadership and advice to mine production teams to ensure compliance with the ground or strata failure principal hazard management plan.
- Ensure geotechnical hazards are identified and appropriate controls communicated to the relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate the regular update of the geotechnical reference report and manage geotechnical consultants.
- Assist the geotechnical consultants with defect mapping and coordination of geotechnical drilling as required.
- Provide geotechnical sign off to short and mid-term designs in line with approved mine design guidelines.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Geology / Geotechnical
- Experience with Vulcan Software, geo bank preferred
- Experience with resource modelling would be advantageous.
- Experience with JORC reporting and exploration geology would be advantageous
- Previous experience managing exploration programs and budgeting
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development as training is a core value of Whitehaven Coal.
- Attractive Salary, Bonus and relocation package in Rural NSW
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader with plenty of projects
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.