Manager - Mechanical Engineering
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Manager - Mechanical Engineering (Narrabri, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for a Manager - Mechanical Engineering to join the team in Narrabri. The Manager Mechanical Engineering is accountable for implementing and maintaining the Mechanical Engineering Management Plan covering the complete life cycle management of all site plant and equipment, in accordance with legislative and Statutory OH&S requirements, monitor compliance of all operations to site engineering standards and supporting the production team in repairs, maintenance and capital works.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Prepare capital expenditure and operating expenditure budgets in respect of mechanical engineering, and bring major expected expenditure to the attention of management well ahead of actual spend.
- Achieve cost effective operations of the mechanical engineering department and specific projects in accordance with annual operating budget by actively monitoring costs, maintaining optimum work practices, maximising productivity and ensuring effective utilisation of staff and resources.
- Seeks opportunities and implements improvements for cost savings and added value across all mechanical engineering activities at the Mine, including services, contract labour, components and parts, as well as hired equipment
- Attends and actively participates in Operational meetings where required
- React and complete assigned actions in the formal Action Register for the Mine where tasks are identified
- Develop the Mechanical Engineering Management Plan and undertake long and short-term mechanical engineering planning in line with mine planning as well as industry standards and best practice.
- Monitor compliance with organisational and statutory standards in mechanical engineering.
- Monitor maintenance work is carried out in a timely manner, with minimal disruption to production, and in a cost-effective manner in respect of materials and resources.
- Establish and implement a best practice maintenance management system including structural integrity audits, Spares Criticality Assessment of the System, PDCA cycle and other maintenance standards, to minimise surplus equipment disposal.
- Manage the major mechanical risks associated with coal clearance, development and longwall equipment, maximising productivity and ensuring unsafe conditions do not occur.
- Review and assess maintenance and delay data, and identify and implement process, plant and equipment improvements.
- Establish a highly skilled workforce and provide training to personnel in the mechanical department.
- Support external engineering activities in respect of repairs and overhauls where internal resources are not available, resourcing material and external experts only as required.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Certificate of Competence – Coal Mine Mechanical Engineer
- Tertiary qualifications in Mechanical Engineering
- Experienced in the use of Maintenance Management Systems (Pulse)
- Management of personnel including employees, contractors and OEM’s
- Knowledge of enterprise agreements, basic production and all underground mining activities
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.