Group Superintendent - Safety & Training
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Group Superintendent - Safety & Training (Gunnedah, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for a Group Superintendent - Safety & Training to join the Group WHS team in Gunnedah, NSW. The Group Superintendent – Safety and Training is accountable for developing, coordinating, maintaining and enhancing Safety and Training systems across all sites and ensuring continuous improvement in other established programs. The role includes providing advice, coaching and support to operations as well as developing and coordinating the implementation of Whitehaven Coal Safety and Training strategies.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Provide technical and leadership support, coaching and mentoring to line management and operational staff to successfully deliver on the agreed business WHST strategic goals and targets.
- Support the operations in the development of a Safety-focused culture through collaborative and effective communication.
- Ensure the ongoing enhancement, development, implementation and continuous improvement of the Safety and Training Management Systems throughout the Group.
- Guide the business in achieving its goals without compromising safety and encourage at all times a positive and pro-active approach to safety throughout the Group’s operations.
- Provide regular reporting to key stakeholders – the ability to identify trends and developments of WHST impacts (positive and negative) and interventions to maximise business returns and minimise on site risk.
- Provide advice, interpretation and guidance to operational management on statutory requirements and best practice developments within WHST.
- Act as advisory support for successful mentoring to leadership teams to embed the behaviour based safety program.
- Manage and improve the Contractor HSE Management process to assist operations to on-board companies and workers effectively and efficiently.
- Develop and maintain the Training and Competency Management Plans, in consultation with operations. Including responsibility for the Whitehaven Coal Training Centre and associated training materials and packages for operators and maintenance personnel.
- Source training providers, determine cost effective training, and coordinate the provision of Safety training by external providers where required.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Work Health and Safety or related discipline
- Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment
- Minimum 7 years WHST experience
- WHST experience in the mining industry
- Knowledge of WHST legislation and statutory requirements in NSW
- Strong commitment to a safety culture
- Systems focus with an ability to plan and organise information
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.