Environmental Officer - Biodiversity
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Environmental Officer - Biodiversity (Gunnedah, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for Environmental Officer - Biodiversity to join the Health, Safety & Environment Team in Gunnedah, NSW. The Environmental Officer is accountable for the execution of commitments in Approved Biodiversity Management Plans and Biodiversity Offset Strategy to maintain compliance. .
To be successful in the role you will:
- Maintain and improve the performance of biodiversity offsets.
- Undertake biodiversity offset restoration programs to meet statutory conditions and commitments including planting, seeding and weed control
- Coordinate activities including collating field monitoring data, investigating and managing any issues and providing feedback to management.
- Liaise with consultants and contractors to ensure timely submission of reports, completion of field requirements, and completion of other general activities.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of biodiversity management plans and strategies.
- Assist with regular engagement with landowners and community stakeholders, investigating complaints and advising management on resolution options.
- Daily and Weekly Contractor Communication and Coordination - Primarily responsible for daily communication and supervision to ensure that Biodiversity Contractors comply with Work Health & Safety systems and that Biodiversity Management requirements are being effectively implemented on ground.
- Weekly and Monthly Contractor Scheduling and Reporting - Plan and prepare required safety & biodiversity paperwork to commence/kick off of new Contractor projects and coordinate weekly continuation of existing projects and report weekly/monthly on Contractor Project Performance and relevant Biodiversity and Safety Metrics.
- Assist and support Group Superintendent - Biodiversity and Group Manager - Environment and Approvals with planning, investigating and implementing new and ongoing Biodiversity Management Projects and/or Programs.
- Understand and implement Whitehaven Biodiversity Management Plan(s) requirements and obligations.
- Ensure both environmental and safety compliance are maintained with legislation and standards
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline
- Knowledge of regulatory processes in the mining sector
- High level oral and written communication skills, particularly in delivering information and liaising with stakeholders
- Ability to deliver high quality work within required deadlines
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.