Senior Mine Geologist
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Senior Mine Geologist, Technical Services (Maules Creek, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for a Senior Mine Geologist to join the Technical Services team at Maules Creek Mine. The Senior Mine Geologist is responsible for all technical aspects of coal quality and logistics planning (pit to port), geotechnical and geology onsite
To be successful in the role you will:
- Ensure budget targets are achieved through exceptional planning
- Provide technical guidance and planning for all facets of coal quality and logistics planning (pit to port), geotechnical and geology onsite.
- Be responsible for the daily coal quality controls to support maximum coal recovery
- Be responsible for the coal reconciliation process to track coal recovery to the mine plan. Identify the potential causes for coal loss and dilution and improve the coal recovery standard
- Maintain the operational coal mining handbook
- Update the short term geological model while liaising with corporate team resource geologist
- Provide guidance to Logistics and Coal Preparation Plant on coal delivery and quality parameters.
- Lead a team of coal quality and geology professionals to maximise value of the resource
- Provide geotechnical leadership and advice to mine production teams to ensure compliance with the ground or strata control management plan
- Ensure geotechnical hazards are identified and appropriate controls communicated to the relevant stakeholders
- Deliver on business improvement initiatives and projects to generate value to the business
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary Qualification in Geology/Geo technical
- Experience with Vulcan Software
- Experience with JORC reporting and exploration geology would be advantageous
- Previous experience managing exploration programs and budgeting
- Previous experience managing coal quality programs
Benefits for You
- Full time, permanent position.
- Excellent opportunity for career development.
- Attractive Salary and relocation package.
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.