Environment Officer - Biodiversity
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help power developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product, particularly for use in high-efficiency, low-emissions coal-fired power stations. With 20 years of industry experience we have developed a growing reputation for excellence in project delivery and safe, efficient and environmentally responsible operations.
The Role: Environment Officer – Biodiversity, Environment Team (Gunnedah, NSW)
An outstanding opportunity has become available for an Environmental Officer to join our Environmental group in Gunnedah. Reporting to the Group Superintendent - Environment, for this role you will be primarily responsible for daily communication and supervision to ensure that Biodiversity Contractors comply with Work Health & Safety systems and Biodiversity Management requirements are being effectively implemented on ground.
To be successful in the role you will:
- Plan and prepare required safety & biodiversity paperwork to commence/kick off of new Contractor projects
- Coordinate weekly continuation of existing projects and report weekly/monthly on Contractor Project Performance and relevant Biodiversity and Safety Metrics;
- Assist and support Group Superintendent - Biodiversity and Group Manager - Environment and Approvals with planning, investigating and implementing new and ongoing Biodiversity Management Projects and/or Programs;
- Plan requirements and obligations to ensure both environmental and safety compliance with maintained with legislation and standards
- Supporting the good practice land and biodiversity management is being implemented to maintain and/or enhance biodiversity of Whitehaven Biodiversity Offset Areas.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline.
- Knowledge of regulatory processes in the mining sector.
- Successful candidate must be based in Gunnedah region.
Benefits for You
- Opportunity to work for an Industry leader.
- Excellent training and career prospects.
- Diversity with work areas.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions in the below application, then click Apply;
- Attach your Resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process.
The Gunnedah Shire is conveniently located halfway between Brisbane and Sydney and is well serviced by road and rail. The Gunnedah Shire has established healthcare infrastructure and a wide selection of public and secondary schools offering great teaching and learning opportunities.
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace. Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free.