Group Superintendent- Safety & Training
About Whitehaven Coal
Whitehaven Coal is the leading Australian producer of high-efficiency, low emissions coal, and the dominant player in Australia’s only emerging high-quality coal basin. We help to power highly-developed and emerging economies in Asia where there is strong and growing demand for our product.
We operate six mines in the Gunnedah Basin in North West New South Wales and have developed a reputation for excellence in operations, project delivery and safe and efficient operations. We are proudly local and employ locally-based employees where possible.
Whitehaven is at an exciting stage in its development with a robust development pipeline in both NSW and Queensland and real opportunities for employees to contribute to our strategic growth agenda.
Whitehaven is an ASX100 company committed to recruiting, retaining, and investing in a modern and diverse workforce which values teamwork, respect and recognition. We are an equal opportunity employer and provide a healthy, smoke-free workplace.
The Role: Group Superintendent- Safety & Training, Gunnedah (NSW)
The Group Superintendent – Safety and Training is accountable for developing, coordinating, maintaining and enhancing Safety and Training systems across all sites and ensuring continuous improvement in other established programs. The role includes providing advice, coaching and support to operations as well as developing and coordinating the implementation of Whitehaven Coal Safety and Training strategies
Reporting to the Group Manager - Work Health & Safety this role is responsible for the following:
- Supporting the operations in the development of a Safety-focused culture through collaborative and effective communication.
- Developing and maintaining Safety and Training management systems in response to legislative and operational change, industry leading practice and incident corrective actions.
- Embedding and making improvements to the Behaviour Based Safety program.
- Managing and improving the Contractor HSE Management process to assist operations to onboard companies and workers effectively and efficiently.
- Developing and maintaining the Training and Competency Management Plans, in consultation with operations. Including responsibility for the Whitehaven Coal Training Centre and associated training materials and packages for operators and maintenance personnel.
- Sourcing training providers, determine cost effective training, and coordinate the provision of Safety training by external providers where required.
- Reviewing high potential incident investigations for adequacy of corrective actions, timeliness of close out and apply findings to identify opportunities to improve Safety and Training management systems.
- Facilitating risk assessments as requested.
- Facilitating root cause incident investigations as requested.
- Providing advice, support and coaching to site personnel as required.
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Work Health and Safety or related discipline.
- Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment
- Minimum 7 years WHST experience
- WHS experience in the mining industry
- Knowledge of WHST legislation and statutory requirements in NSW
- Strong commitment to a safety culture
- Systems focus with an ability to plan and organise information
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to be a role-model and lead by example
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Capacity to gain commitment and influence others
- Enthusiasm, energy and drive
- Honesty and integrity
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions contained in the application below, then click Apply
- Attach a resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
In order to be considered for this position you must currently have the right to work in Australia.