Graduate Environmental Officer
About The Organisation
Whitehaven Coal is a leading producer of some of the world’s highest quality coal. Operating in NSW’s Gunnedah Basin, our vision is to be Australia’s leading independent coal company.
Whitehaven Coal operates five open cut mines (Maules Creek, Werris Creek, Tarrawonga, Rocglen & Sunnyside), one underground mine (Narrabri) and a Coal Handling and Preparation Plant, supported by offices in Gunnedah, Newcastle, Sydney and Tokyo. The company has been growing its workforce and currently has over 1000 direct employees.
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the number of women and Aboriginal people in our workforce and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender and culture.
Our commitment is to be:
- A leading producer of some of the world’s highest quality coal
- A company that has locally-based employees wherever possible
- A proud member of and leading employer in the north west NSW region
- A provider of stable and secure employment opportunities for local Aboriginal people
- A company that achieves Zero Harm to our people, our environment and our community
About The Role
An opportunity has become available for a Graduate Environmental Officer to join the team at our Narrabri underground coal mine.
Reporting to the Environmental Superintendent you will be responsible for:
- Environmental sample collection and monitoring from around the site;
- Carry out basic analysis and assessment of samples/monitoring and observations;
- Assisting in the review, update and implementation of the site Environmental Management System;
- Maintaining environmental databases and reviewing performance against compliance criteria;
- Liaise with internal/external stakeholders and assisting with external regulatory inspections and audits as required;
- Undertaking internal audits and inspections and implementing corrective actions;
- Assisting in the preparation of annual and monthly reports for regulatory and stakeholder distribution; and
- Assisting with environmental projects, consultants and contractors as required.
About You or Skills / Experience
The successful applicant will possess the following qualifications, experience and qualities:
- Tertiary qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline
- Experience in the mining industry is desirable, not essential
- Ideally you will have basic field work skills and knowledge of environmental management systems.
- A flexible and quality focused approach to work
How To Apply
If you are interested in this position:
- Complete the questions contained in the application below, then click Apply
- Attach a resume. Please note this is a mandatory requirement of the application process
Closing Date: 18/1/19
The Narrabri Shire is conveniently located halfway between Brisbane and Sydney and is well serviced by road and rail. The Narrabri Shire has established healthcare infrastructure and a wide selection of public and secondary schools offering great teaching and learning opportunities.
Please be advised that in the interest of the health of our employees and visitors, all Whitehaven Coal sites are smoke free
Whitehaven Coal is committed to increasing the representation of women and Aboriginal people in the workplace
Whitehaven aims for an inclusive workplace that brings both men and women from diverse backgrounds and welcomes applicants who reflect diversity of gender, culture, experience and skills.